In Dec. 18 Issue
A fire claimed a house, but the family escaped the late-night Friday, December 12.
The Jamestown Fire Department arrived at Odell Polston home on Courtview Drive at almost 11 p.m. to find where, according to Fire Chief Tony Wright, an oil-filled, electric style heater in an upstairs bedroom had caught fire.
Wright said members of the Polston family were awakened by the sound of smoke alarms, which allowed them escape without injury.
Jamestown Firemen were able to contain the fire to the upper portion of the structure, however, Wright said, the family home sustained heavy smoke and water damage throughout.
One fireman was treated at the scene by the Russell County EMS for fatigue and difficulty breathing. Jamestown Firemen were on the scene until just after 3 a.m.