In March 26 Issue
Russell Springs Fire Chief H.M. Bottom said it was an iron that caused the fire which damaged a home on Crow Street Sunday afternoon.
He said an unattended iron had fallen from the ironing board onto a bed.
The iron started a fire on the bed, but firefighters were able to catch the blaze early and the home was saved.
Bottom said the bulk of the damage was confined to a front bedroom in the home of Tim and Denise Harris.
Eli Firefighters battled the wind, and their own water needs as they beat back a blaze that started when burning trash outdoors set an outbuilding ablaze.
Assistant Chief Marty Kazuk of the Eli Fire Department said a 12' x 36' storage building belonging to Judy Daniel on Ky-1383 was destroyed by the fire Tuesday afternoon.
The Eli department was dispatched about 12:30 and remained on the scene for some three hours putting out the fire, which also destroyed the contents of the building.
By trucking in water with their tanker the firefighters were able to keep off disaster, as the building on fire was right beside a propane tank and only feet from a home.
Fire Chief H.M. Bottom said hot tar in the gutter ignited leaves and then the roof of Liberty Baptist Church in Russell Springs Monday afternoon.
Bottom said the church had been undergoing roof repairs earlier in the day.
He said firefighters had to cut open the roof with a chainsaw to get to where the flames had spread in the attic space.
The flames were beaten back, but the church suffered some water damage.
Church leaders who came to the fire said they expected to have services in the sanctuary despite the damage.